The Ministry of tourism and the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India along with State Tourism Departments of the States of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir and Union Territory of Chandigarh are supporting ‘Spirit of India Run’ by Mr. Pat Farmer, an ultra marathon runner from Australia Mr. Pat Farmer will run over 4600 km in 60 days starting from Kanyakumari and finishing in Kashmir. He has initiated his run on 26 January 2016 celebrating India’s Republic Day and Australia Day.
2. Mr. Farmer is a multiple world record holder for endurance running and has run from the North Pole to the South Pole, and across Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, the Middle East and North America. He has served 8 years as a Member of Australia’s Parliament, with 3 years as Parliamentary Secretary for Education, Science and Training. Mr. Farmer has raised millions of dollars for worthy causes during his 20 year running career.
3. Mr. Farmer will run on an average 70-80 Km, daily through the States of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab and Jammu & Kashmir and cover a distance of 4600 km.
4. Mr. Farmer’s ‘Spirit of India Run’ is aimed at cementing relations between India and Australia; encourage tourism and personal relationships with a view to create awareness of India as a ‘Must Experience’ destination for travelers from Australia; and support causes and charity which in the current endeavour is to raise funds for education of girl child.
5. ‘Spirit of India Run’ is also being supported by Indian Association of Tour Operators (IATO), Federation of Hotels & Restaurants Association of India (FHRAI), Hotel Association of India, Indian Heritage Hotels Association, etc. Then IATO is providing a set of two experienced and knowledgeable drivers in each State to ensure smooth flow of movement of the vehicles accompanying Mr. Farmer.
6. Mr. Pat Farmer is running from Kanyakumari to Srinagar and is being accompanied by a television crew which would cover the entire run and prepare a documentary that would be screened multiple times on Australia’s Channel 9 TV Network. Mr. Farmer commenced the Run on 26 January 2016 and would finish the run at Srinagar on 30 March 2016.
7. ‘Spirit of India Run’ commenced in front of Gandhi Mandapam, Kanyakumari at 06:15 hrs. on 26 January 2016 and the Run was flagged off by the District Collector of Kanyakumari District.
8. Mr. Pat Farmer is entering in the State of Goa at Margao on 08 February 2016 and Goa Tourism is assisting and coordinating all his arrangements while he is in Goa. To felicitate Mr. Farmer, Indiatourism, Mumbai along with, Goa Tourism is organizing an “Incredible India Evening” at Margao on 08 February 2016, which will be attended by the members of the Media; travel Industry, Hotel Industry, Government officials, School students and Sports enthusiasts. Mr. Farmer would be leaving Goa for his onward journey into Maharashtra on the 09 February 2016.
9. As he enters Maharashtra on 09 February 2016 Indiatourism, Mumbai along with Maharashtra Tourism will welcome Mr. Farmer at Banda – Border of Maharashtra with a traditional welcome. State Government Officials and Tourism Officials along with Sports enthusiasts from Sindhudurg District will also be present. Mr. Farmer would be in Maharashtra for eleven days covering Velagar, Malvan, Mithgavane, Ratnagiri, Velneshwar, Dapoli, Lonere, Pen, Shirsad and Kasa and would be in Mumbai on 17 February 2016. Indiatourism, Mumbai along with Maharashtra Tourism and all other stake holders would felicitate him at an “Incredible India Evening” to be held at Trident Hotel, Nariman Point, Mumbai on 17 February 2016.
10. Further, Gujarat Tourism would take over the arrangements for Mr. Farmer at Bhilad, the Gujarat entry point. He would be in Gujarat from 21 to 27 February 2016 for a period of seven days, covering Vapi, Navsari, Ankelshwar, Por, Chaklasi, Ahmedabad, and Himmatnagar. On the 25 February 2016, while he is in Ahmedabad, Indiatourism, Mumbai along with Gujarat Tourism will felicitate MR. Farmer at an “Incredible India Evening”. Mr. Farmer will further proceed to Rishabhdev where Rajasthan Tourism would be taking over the arrangements of the ‘Spirit of India Run’ along with the Indiatourism, Jaipur.
11. All the State Departments of Police, Traffic, Education, Sports, Health and media have been requested to extend their support in their respective States for the smooth conduct of ‘Spirit of India Run’. A day to day progress of ‘Spirit of India Run” is available on link at