March 14, 2016, Bangkok
Thailand Convention & Exhibition Bureau (Public Organization), or TCEB, has continued to drive its MICE Capabilities Development Plan to serve the business events industry for 2016-2017 through five extended education projects in line with government’s policy. Meanwhile, the 2nd MICE Academy & Career Day has been launched as part of the plan to produce 20,000 MICE graduates in the next five years, an effort to push Thailand to become ASEAN MICE Education Hub.
Mr. Nopparat Maythaveekulchai, TCEB President, said, “A good news is that Minister of Education Ministry has appointed TCEB to chair the Public and Private Participation Subcommittee for Vocational Education Development in charge of MICE cluster to support the work of the Public and Private Participation Committee for Vocational Education Development under the theme ‘Vocational education development to produce professionals for the country’. The MICE business, which is a part of the service industry, is facing a serious lack of vocational workforces. The move is in conjunction with TCEB’s MICE Capabilities Development Plan of 2016, which is mainly focused on the development of five major projects”
(1) Improving the MICE curriculum, known as MICE 101, to meet an international standard to serve educational institutes in Thailand. More than 87 educational institutes have included MICE 101 into their education system.
(2) Coach the Coaches Program – This program is aimed at enhancing the capability building of MICE instructors on theory and practice. It’s expected that 150 people from 50 organizations will complete the program this year.
(3) Academic Exchange Program – This year TCEB plans a joint cooperation on education development with Germany and Hong Kong, Presently, TCEB has 47 MICE education alliances from abroad, including Australia, China, Japan, Korea, Germany, Taiwan, and the United States.
(4) MICE Academic Cluster – It serves as a center for MICE experts to exchange information, knowledge, and to support personnel development.
(5) MICE Academy & Career Day – It’s an extension program from the improvement of MICE curriculum to an international standard to support MICE new generation to become professionals. The 2ndMICE Academy & Career Day is a joint cooperation between TCEB and alliances including Thai Exhibition Association (Thai), Thailand Incentive and Convention
Association and Business of Creative and Event Management Association, and a number of educational alliances which have also participated in MICE 101.
The event was held on March 11, 2016, at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre. The event also features the 6th Coach the Coaches Program, a workshop on MICE business to improve the capabilities of MICE instructors. The program participated by 155 instructors from 71 educational institutes. MICE Academy & Career Day attracted more than 2,000 students and MICE operators. TCEB estimates that each participating educational institute is capable of producing 50-60 people or a total number of 4,000 graduates per year. In the next five years, some 20,000 people will graduate with MICE background to become professionals and enter the MICE industry.
“On the implementation of personnel development for 2017, we continue to focus on education development to establish Thailand as ASEAN MICE Education Hub and on Creating Future MICE Leaders to enter the MICE industry as MICE professionals through three key areas:
1. The development of MICE curriculum to meet an international standard with in-depth contents, held in cooperation with educational institution partners. Funds for MICE research are also supported to further develop the industry for the future.
2. The development of networking for MICE Academic Exchange Program under which knowledge exchange with other countries and the development of knowledge centers in the regional level.
3. The development of MICE personnel through “Creating Future MICE Leaders” program,” he said in conclusion of TCEB’s 2017 direction.”