Monsoon rain makes the world appear so beautiful-- the trees look clean and green and the plants, languishing in the summer sun, get a fresh lease of life. So do we, with the onset of the monsoon. For most of us, the rains are an instant mood lifter. Ignore the water-logging and the traffic jam, just look at the colourful umbrellas, savour the smell of bhuttas(corncobs) being roasted on a charcoal fire and get into the monsoon spirit. If you are lucky to afford a break from work, even for a couple of days, just pack your bag and set off.
Here are a few monsoon destinations you could try. Take our recommendations, we assure you, you won’t regret it. Do I hear you saying “I hate rains”? Never mind, head out to one of the suggested getaways, you’ll be compelled to change your views. You will begin to love the rains.
1) Pondicherry- one of the choicest monsoon destinations in South India. For monsoon lovers, it is a great place to explore. Known for its crystal bluewaters, and tranquil beaches, Pondicherry is an ideal monsoon getaway. Watch the rain-drench the beach from the comfort of hotel room. Enhance the experience with piping hot vadas washed down with cardamom tea. Even better, go walking barefoot on the beach as it pours and soak yourself. It has a charm of its own and is calming beyond imagination. Roam around the Paradise beach, and the Botanical gardens in the rain, it is fun and relaxing. Don’t forget to visit the French bakeries. They say cakes and pastries taste special on rain-soaked evenings.
2) Cherrapunjee- Meghalaya, the wettest place in the world is a paradise for rain lovers at any time of the year, but especially so during the monsoons when not a day passes without a downpour. Strangely enough, it rains mostly at night so during the day you could spend your time enjoying the pristine beauty of the place with its spectacular variety of flora and fauna and vegetation. An amazing variety of rare orchids and ferns, that thrive during the rain makes the place a dream for monsoon enthusiasts. Head for this abode of clouds- -- with lush green and mist all around it is sure to sooth your senses and revitalize your soul.
3) Munnar, Kerala a happy mix of beauty and tranquillity,isa dream destination during the rainy season. Also known as lover’s paradise, Munnar is popular with honeymooners, family vacationers, wildlife enthusiasts. During the monsoon, this little hill station tucked away in the Nilgiris, exudes a charm of its own, with dense vegetation all around. Munnar is dotted with sprawling tea plantations, rippling streams and razor-sharp cliffs, making it an ideal monsoon getaway for nature lovers wanting to savour the rains in peace and quiet.
4) Ladakh, Jammu & Kashmir - Ladakh is marvelous especially during monsoons when its scenic beauty gets enhanced with frequent rain making the place really soulful. Visit the various big and small Buddhist monasteries on a rain-washed afternoon and see it come alive. With its numerous mountain passes and radiant lakes with crystal clear water Ladakh is breathtakingly beautiful, and what better time to visit the place than the monsoon when everything looks clean and beautiful after a good shower. The blue-black Pangong Lake is a must on your itinerary. It’s beauty is captivating you will not want to leave the place.
5) Goa- For many people, Goa is best known for its pretty awesome parties. But this place has much to offer during monsoon season. Once you will see the bird- eye view of goa from airplane - you will fall with this place –a mix of green and blue colour. With unending carpets of greenery and blue waters with exotic beaches makes it unbelievably pristine. The entire atmosphere becomes alive in a lush green tropical vibe and making the air so pleasant and clean. If you love incessant splash of water upon you and heavy drizzles, then goa must be the next destination for you. Apart from many churches and goan culture, one can explore the Savoi spice plantation during monsoon that will take you to tropical forests while enjoying the drizzles. For party people, do not forget to visit North Goa. It’s a complete entertainment zone to make your memories for lifetime.
Article by Mr Kapil Goswamy Founder & Managing Director Bigbreaks.com