Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan steps out with some of the West End’s most famous faces to affirm that London’s West End and its world class offering is open for the summer season. To support the #LondonIsOpen campaign the entire West End will be liveried for the first time in history.
Delivered by the West End Partnership 374, flags across nine streets spanning approximately 4.5 miles have been installed across the West End including Bond Street, Conduit Street, Coventry Street, Haymarket, Leicester Square, Oxford Street, Piccadilly, South Molton Street, Regent Street St James’s.
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “London is the greatest city in the world and our globally renowned West End attracts millions of people who want to sample its unbeatable mix of shops, theatres and major tourist attractions.I am delighted to team up with West End businesses to show that London is Open and always will be a place where everyone is welcome.There is nowhere that better epitomises the spirit of London that the West End – so my message this Summer is that this wonderful part of our city is teeming with things to do, places to visit and people to meet.”
Each flag welcomes visitors from across the globe to the West End with ‘Everyone Welcome’ written in the twelve languages of the top ten visitor countries to the West End. As one of Europe’s most open, welcoming and cosmopolitan cities, it’s never been more crucial for London and the West End to welcome visitors into this city – the home of more than 200 languages and more than a million European residents.
London’s West End attracts more international shoppers than any other UK retail destination and this summer the area is predicting to see more than £1 billion to be spent across the area within its world-leading retail stores, hotels, eateries and theatres. The West End looks forward to welcoming more than 200 million visitors equating to almost £3.52 billion in tourism spend per annum.
With this influx of visitors expected over the summer the areas retailers, restaurants and leisure hotspots are pulling out all the stops to make each and every trip to the West End unforgettable. From world-leading art exhibitions, the chance to try one of the capital’s most delicious new foodie spots, or a visit to one of the West End’s many big brand flagship store’s – the offer is unrivalled.
To help visitors navigate the best of the offers and events in the West End this summer, the area is launching a website for the area for the first time ever in partnership with Visit London - www.visitlondon.com/westend . The website will serve as the online home for the
Top 5 picks during the Summer in the West End include:
1. Stroll down Summer Streets on Regent Street to enjoy a plethora of entertainment and activities, as well as delicious food and drink. The annual traffic-free event takes place across the first four Sundays in July and transforms the bustling street into one big summer party
2. Escape lively Oxford Street at the John Lewis Gardening Society Rooftop, opening for its second summer atop the flagship department store. Cool down with an ice-cold beverage served from the new Gardener's Arms, rumoured to be Britain’s smallest pub. Reserve a “summer house” complete with a private herb and flower garden and outdoor seating, or a larger “pavilion” where you can sit and enjoy British-inspired food from a rooftop menu
3. Make the most of London’s summer with a delightful picnic in one of the gorgeous Royal Parks surrounding Sofitel London St James hotel. Its head chef serves a ploughman’s picnic with a selection of sandwiches, tasty charcuterie from Trealy Farm, salad, cheeses and Parisian pastries
4. Get to know the coolest artists in London as you explore Carnaby. Visit souvenir store, We Built This City to pick up fun artwork and gifts from more than 250 homegrown designers. Get involved in creative events at the Lomography Gallery Store, including regular workshops and discussions by guest speakers. Plus, pick up your own piece of Carnaby art with a limited edition tote bag designed by London illustrator Hattie Stewart
5. Make the most of the special foodie deals and experiences on offer as London Food Month hits Regent Street. Try sushi and pasta-making masterclasses and snap up £1 oysters and complimentary Bloody Marys.