· Tourism as an economic activity taken the top most position as the largest industry in the world.
· Every country is competing with each other to better is relative positions
· The Indian tourism industry is also now on a roll driven by the huge surge in both business & leisure travel by domestic & foreign tourists supported by the commendable Incredible India Campaigns.
· The year 2008, was not that bad year till August when International tourist arrival figures were in double digit growth (over 12%) from the previous year but took sudden downward turn since September with economic meltdown and thereafter terror attacks in Mumbai.
· While tourism has contributed US $6000 billion into the world economy its contribution to the country US $ 73 billion.
· The sector is giving employment to our 50 million persons in India .
· This sector is contributing 0.56% share in international tourist arrivals while the country occupies 2.2 % of geographical area in the world.
· What I am now trying to tell you Tourism Policy documents of the Ministry of Tourism (2002) seems to enhance employment potential within country through tourism sector as well as foster economic integration through developing linkages with other sectors.
· In trying to harness the direct and multiplier effects of tourism for employment generation and motivate private sector whereas acting as facilitation starting from village level:-
The areas where jobs identified include: Swagat (Welcome); Soochna (Information); Suvidha (facility); Suraksha (safety); Samrachana (infrastructure development); Safai (cleanliness).
· Even though the policy looks very comprehensive, scanning into detail will bring out that the policy include components of development, marketing, conservation, private sector investments with job opportunities.
· As the tourism industry is growing the need for staff is also increasing.
· Quality of staff employment & their professionalism, responsive to need personalized touch, positive attitude that make the difference.
· In the case of service industry be airlines, tour operators/ travel agents, excursion agents/ wildlife out fitters, adventure tour operators rail agents, online service agents, we are committed to admirable service through staff who hold expertise to assure safe travel.
· Most of the trips imprint in the memory some experience that remains long & preserved. So here comes our students to grate the opportunities in the business referred to.
· Once you hold communication skills, linguistic proficiency, understand clients need you are fit for jobs in PR agency, journalism with travel press, bank marketing, more marketing & sales, airlines, cruise lines, medical tourism, MICE business, restaurant & banqueting promotions.
· People have understood the importance of this trade. Students have found enviable carrier option which were never available earlier.
· The pass outs are immediately absorbed into hotels even without interview as there is acute shortage of qualified personnel
· A quality seekin tour operator always asses the quality of work force before employing them. So be prepared to meet their challenges.
· Best part in this education you can be employer too by opening self sustained companies like event management, tourism consultant, travel consultant travel journalist, language interpreter/ translator, online travel agents, web designer, marketing & sales team, training instructors.
· Jobs galore one should be positive and ready to curve the way forward