WTTC launches Safe Travels protocols for attractions, car hire and short-term rental
New measures help to rebuild confidence for travellers. Latest phases of protocols aid the reopening of Travel & Tourism sector
London, UK: The World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) has unveiled its third phase of measures designed to rebuild global consumer confidence, reduce risk and encourage the return of Safe Travels.
The latest protocols for the global Travel & Tourism sector focus on measures to ensure the reopening of global attractions, drive business to car hire companies and enable short-term rentals to begin welcoming guest.
WTTC, which represents the global Travel & Tourism private sector, held detailed discussions with key stakeholders and organisations to ensure maximum buy-in, alignment and practical implementation.
The measures help to set clear expectations of what travellers can experience in the ‘new normal’ which offer safe environments as travel restrictions are eased.
Backed by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), the WTTC protocols also take into account guidelines from the World Health Organisation (WHO), and the WTTC Safe Travels stamp recognises those destinations, countries, businesses and governments worldwide which have adopted them.
Measures announced today include:
- Encourage guests to buy advanced tickets online if possible, and considered timed entries and smaller groups
- Identify realistic capacities for attractions based on queue length, waiting areas, pre-shows and vehicle capacity and adjust accordingly to allow for physical distancing
- Use of virtual queue systems, contactless touchpoints and payment where possible
- Personal protection equipment (PPE) available for all customer-facing staff
- Enhanced cleaning at high-frequency touch points, such as handrails, common areas and lifts.
- Sanitize strollers, electric buggies and wheelchairs between every use if applicable
- Make available hand sanitisers in high-traffic areas such as entry, key walkways, food and beverage locations, merchandise shops and exits
- Consider increasing the number of performances and an end-of-show announcement to encourage guests to take their time exiting
- For water parks, evaluate closing or removing hands-on interactive features within play structures if they aren’t covered in treated pool water
- Encourage guests to reduce the number of personal items they bring into the venue
- Pre-arrival health declaration via email, if required and in accordance with GDPR
- Enhance cleaning to all offices, including check-in, counters, desktops, washrooms and any high-frequency touch points
- Encourage use of curb side pick-up and drop off. Consider moving to a fully digital process including payments and limit physical interaction with staff
- Health/temperature checks, if recommended by legislation, and sanitation stations for customers through hand sanitisers in high-traffic areas
- Limit the number of people allowed per vehicle collection, as well as decreasing the number of people allowed in the car rental establishment at any one time
- All cars to be cleaned with a focus on high-frequency touch points such as keys, steering wheels, steering column, gear stick, seats, seat pockets, seat belts, door handles, gearboxes, gloveboxes, vents, key fobs, door interiors, areas between seats, dashboards, radio controls, centre consoles, rear view and side mirrors, cup holders and other surfaces.
- Use of contactless technology to enable automation at check-in and payment where possible
- Minimise physical interaction when providing guests with keys, ideally in a contactless manner by offering self- check-in and check-out, where possible
- Enhance sanitation, disinfection and deep cleaning practices as well as increasing their cleaning/disinfection frequency with a focus on high-frequency touch points, including bedrooms, common areas, washrooms and kitchens, including cutlery and utensil sanitisation
- Provide guests with physical distancing etiquette, including in elevators if relevant, through signage
- Make available hand sanitizer to guests at entrance of short-term rental
For full details about “Safe Travels”, please visit wttc.org